Mitford Parish Church is a diverse Christian community, with people of all ages, coming from all walks of life. Worship plays a key role in the life of Mitford Church and we seek to provide forms of worship which sensitively reflects the need and expectations of all those who attend.
8.30am Holy Communion
We follow the Book of Common Prayer. There is no music, a sermon is included and regular attendance is approximately 20.
10.30am Family Worship (Common Worship)
This service of approx 80 adults and 25 children and young adults aims to meet the needs of all ages. The current monthly pattern is:
- First Sunday: an All Age service where the whole church family worship together. Music is provided by one of four music groups. The service leaders do not robe for this service.
- Second & Fourth Sunday: Service of the Word in which the children are with us at the beginning of the service but leave after the children’s talk for their various groups in Junior Church (in the Stable Room.) Again music is provided by one of the music groups. The service leaders do not robe for this service.
- Third Sunday: Holy Communion is where the children go straight to Junior Church and join us later in the service as we celebrate communion. Music is provided by the music group. Clergy will usually robe for this celebration.
- Fifth Sunday: often a more informal (alternative) time of worship. It is based on the structure of the Family Service but we often try out something different. It is frequently led by the Youth Group or guest leader.
Prayer Ministry is offered at the end of every 10.30 service.
All music, liturgy and supporting multi media is available on projection screens and services may be relayed to the Stable Room.
We are greatly blessed and encouraged by the extent of lay participation through music, reading, intercessions, prayer ministry, teaching and leading in this family worship environment.
Coffee is served after these services either at the back of church or in the nearby Stable Room giving people an opportunity to chat, network and enjoy each others company.
Baptism services will normally be included as part of our family worship.
Easter Sunday 10’oclock worship is one example where music is provided by some combination of choir / choral and music groups.
5.00pm Evening Worship (BCP)
The current monthly pattern is:
- First & Fourth Sunday: Choral Evensong
- Second Sunday: Holy Communion
- Third Sunday: (see below)
- Fifth Sunday: Songs of Praise (alternating with Hebron)
6.15pm Simple Worship
On the third Sunday of each month we gather in the evening, at 6.15pm for an act of reflective worship. This service is generally quieter than all the others and provides opportunity for silent prayer, personal searching and an opportunity to delve deeper into God’s word than might be possible elsewhere in the week. Biblical exposition and music plays an important part of this service.
Mid Week Services
This service is held on first Tusday in the month at 10am in the Mitford Chapel and we follow the Book of Common Prayer. Hymns are unaccompanied, a sermon / homily is included and regular attendance is approximately five. Clergy robe for this service.
Services are held on major festivals which fall during the week.
Morning Prayer is said every Monday morning as part of the regular staff meeting.